No matter what state you live in, the Fall months bring about a change in the weather and a few extra chores added on to your “to do” list around the house. Keeping up with regular home maintenance items will save you money in the long run. Here are 7 ways to help keep your home on track and prepared for Fall.
1. Declutter – Now is a great time to do some deep cleaning and start planning for a yard sale! Clear out unwanted items to make room for showcasing your holiday décor. A great project for this month is pantry organization. A local general contractor in your area can work with you to customize your pantry shelving and storage needs to better fit your lifestyle. Let’s face it those standardized shelving systems that came in your home may need to be adjusted to make best use of the space that you have.
2. Tap into your water conscious self – Take note of any dripping or leaking faucets, hose bibs or irrigation lines. Make necessary repairs to ensure maximum savings on your water bill or contact a local general contractor to assist you. While you are checking out the garden, get in the habit of watering in the early morning hours or late evenings for less chance of evaporation.
3. Check the temperature – The weather is starting to cool a bit and now is the perfect time to adjust your thermostat. Setting the temperature just a bit higher during the day while you are out will help cut energy costs. Make sure to keep the curtains closed and shades down to block the sun during the day. By the end of the month you’ll be ready to start opening windows to let the cool air of the Fall season in and begin utilizing ceilings fans to keep you comfortable. Check into adding a storm door to the entry of your home. They offer the peace of mind of keeping your home safe acting as a security measure while you enjoy the gorgeous seasonal weather.
4. Spruce up – This is a good month for getting those windows washed on your home. A good cleaning to the panes and the screens will prepare you for the upcoming holiday decorations to go up. Are your windows not performing up to your standards? Check into upgrading your windows to energy efficient dual pane windows to lower your energy consumption. Contact a local general contractor in your area to discuss the options available and within your budget.
5. Check, check and check – The changing of the seasons is the perfect time to do some checking around your home. Check all batteries in your smoke detectors to ensure they are still working properly. Check the filters in your air returns and change out as needed. Check your fireplace and inspect for any hazards. Having these items “checked” off your list will help ensure the safety of your family.
6. Freshen up the guest room – Before the holidays are upon us and family comes to visit, it’s always a good idea to freshen up your guest bedroom. Perform necessary paint touch ups to walls, trim and baseboards. Wash and switch out bed linens for warmer ones. Make sure extra clean blankets and shower towels are available. Now is also a good time to throw out old or used toiletries that you keep on hand for visitors also.
7. Liven up your porch – With the cooler weather brings enjoyable evenings on the patio. Liven up your front and rear porch with fall/winter foliage or make necessary steps to protect your weather sensitive plants. Add a few new planters or colorful accessories to set the mood. If you are really in need of a change, try applying a fresh coat of paint in a fun color to your entry door. You will be amazed how a few updates can give your home a whole new personality.
Taking just a little bit of time to address these items can make a big difference in how your home operates. Whether you can perform these tasks or are looking to hire a professional, its well worth the time and money to make sure your home is safe and secure before winter is upon us. If you are looking for a general contractor in Phoenix to take care of these projects for you or to perform some needed handy-man work on your home, you are in luck. The team at TWD has specialized crews on staff to handle all of your home improvement and remodel needs. They have built their reputation by providing top notch customer service and quality work since 1996. Take a look at their website (www.twdaz.com) for a full list of services they offer and to schedule your free consultation today.